Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cystic Fibrosis Gala

A while ago, I posted about my friend Sharlie who has Cystic Fibrosis and a luncheon where she was recognized for... well, just being wonderful her. This time, the event Freddy and I went to honored her mother, Colette. Colette and Sharlie have been part of my life for many years now, and you could know no finer people. Strong willed, faithful, hard working, loving in every way people that make you recognize that, perhaps, I take advantage of my simple life. They remind me of what is important and though there are trials, they make us stronger and better human beings. If not personally, then we are touched by the strength of the ones we love that endure through their struggles.
Colette had invited Freddy and me to this annual event and couldn't have been more excited to attend! I've always heard about it from my parents but never had the privelegde of attending it. Such a beautiful uplifting night. Donations from so many selfless people to help find a cure for people like my friend Sharlie.
I always love an excuse for us to get dolled up!

My parents across from us.

The auctioneer. He was amazing. 





Sharlie (mind you, with only 18% lung capacity)gave a brilliant speech about her mother. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.  Sharlie is a miracle. Many with CF shouldn't really even make it past their teens. She is 30 now and has a wonderful husband and has had a gorgeous little boy, Harrison. Here is Harrison bringing her up flowers after her speech. 


A blessed family.

Sweet Sharlie and Harrison. He was cuttin' a rug out on the floor!

Colette. Thank you.

An amazing big band! I wanted to go up there and sing with them! 


But we showed off our moves instead.  Such a brilliant night. Thank you, Colette, for the experience!

1 comment:

Tracy Giles said...

I love all your updates. I haven't checked blogs in awhile so it was fun to see all your pictures!