Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The "Knee"cracker...

Let's see... where do I begin with this nightmare of a day??
So this is Brooklyn's first show on stage. She'd been preparing for this for the last few weeks and to be honest, with this pregnancy, I just wanted to get to the end of it with so much involved. I planned on her show day to be a very long one being that she would be doing a matinee show and an evening show way past her bedtime. Wow, did I get way more than I asked for...
As we were crossing the street to the theater, I stepped off the curb and my leg gave out on me and I twisted my body fast enough to not land of the baby. Thankfully (though completely embarrassing) there were about 10 other people crossing to the show as well and they all managed to get me back on the sidewalk. I was in such shock, I wasn't sure what was in pain. The top of my right foot was in pain with a bloody knee, and I noticed the left top of my knee was sticking out and also in a great amount of pain. Not to mention I had a few contractions starting up. I'm sure everybody was just as freaked out as I was. I tried to calm myself for the sake of Brooklyn and started asking some parents to get her to her dressing room so she didn't have to see what was going on. People at the concession stand were fast to come over with ice and an ice chest for me to sit on so I wasn't on the ground. They asked if I wanted an ambulance but being the realist I am, I knew we couldn't afford that. All I could do was call Freddy and tell him to get to me quick. He was on his way anyway with Tre for the matinee show. Luckily, they had a paramedic there that was able to analize if I had a break or not. Thankfully, there wasn't. Freddy finally made it to me and we rushed to the ER in Irvine.
I hate ER's. They took about an hour for me to get in and took people over me. Um... hey ER people... I'm 35 weeks pregnant and in crazy pain! Help me out! When they did get me in (about an hour after we arrived), they didn't even really assess me, they just got some quick X-rays and told me what I already knew... no breaks. They were then just going to let me go. "That's it?" I asked. No checking the baby... no wrapping the leg... no pain killers... no crutches?? I can't even walk! "Oh... yeah. We can do that. Oh, and you should go up to the OB and have them monitor your baby for about 4 hours." This made Freddy, and me, so angry. "Don't you think if there was a problem with the baby they should have checked her in the second we got here??" he asked.
The OB was actually way more accomodating and tried to get me in and out as fast as they could. I was determined to get back to Brooklyn's nighttime show, drugged or not. I kept having emotional breakdowns thinking of if she was doing ok. Turned out the baby was fine. I was still experiencing a few minor contractions, but nothing too serious. I forgot to mention Tre was with us for most of the day at the ER (Knox was being babysat) and he was the sweetest support to have there, other than my amazing husband of course. My parents were luckily going to her evening show and were able to pick Tre up on their way. Thank you mom and dad!!
When we got to the show, it had already started but I asked Freddy to drop me off by the backstage door so Brooklyn would see that I got there. I told him to come get me after he parked the car. Well, she was already on stage and I must have missed Freddy when he came by to get me. He thought I decided to just stay back there with Brooklyn. So as I was walking with my lovely baby belly on crutches on my way to the front of the theater, my left leg cracked! And it totally freaked me out! Like I had been hit with a rock or something. Just turned out my knee went back into place and it actually took the edge off of all the pain I was having. Get's better. There's stairs in the front of the theater and no one in site. I figured at some point Freddy would think to come out and look to see so I sat at the bottom of the stairs in about 40 degree weather. (To be fair, the cold air actually felt really nice with all of the flustering going on.) A half hour later, intermission, Freddy finally comes out and both of us pulled the "Where were you... no, where were you" game back and forth, but quickly laughed it off. I was more worried about him getting in and helping out with Tre. So he carried me to my seat and we sat and enjoyed what was left of the show.
I'm happy to say, Brooklyn stole the show and did her momma proud. It was worth all the struggle of the day to see her sweet face light up that stage. And she totally killed it. My girl.
Any hard core "I Love Lucy" fans like me out there? This was an undeniable perfect plot line for that show. But I'm happy to say I'm walking without my crutches and doing fine and the baby is as well. I'll be back to my normal, uncomfortable pregnant self in no time. Just glad it's all over and we can go on with our crazy holiday already!!
A huge thank you to everyone at the show who rushed to my side and helped Brooklyn get ready for her first show. And, of course, all my love to my husband who kept me sane that entire day! I'm sorry if I took out your back with all the lifting. :(

Brooklyn in front of the theater literally 30 seconds before the ordeal. 

The lovely ER. Me having a breakdown. Both from pain and worrying about my sweet Brooklyn. The only reason we got this picture is because I asked Freddy to check my camera for any damages from the fall. Lovely. 

Before getting wrapped. Can you tell I'm on pain killers at this point?

Brooklyn backstage with her friend.


Her on the very end, right.

Flying in the middle.
Thanks for being wonderful Brooklyn. I'm sorry mommy is so clumsy. :(

1 comment:

Jill said...

You poor girl! Freddy called us for help (given we live less than a block from there), and we felt so bad we were no where near there at the time. I'm glad nothing is broken and that you still got to see your cute girl kill it on stage.

Now take it easy!