Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nevada Star Ball 2008


Tan, bronze, self tan... repeat. August 14th, my mom, sister Monica, my nephews Keaton and Garrett and I competed at the Nevada Star Ball Ballroom competition. It was such a blast for all of us! My mom, Monica and Keaton started the Bronze division at 1pm. Monica, of course, took all 1st's, Keaton took a ton of 2nd and 3rd's (including 1st in Viennese Waltz! GO Keaties!) Garrett took 1st in Tango in his age category. And my mom also took  four 1st's and many 2nd and 3rd's! Amazing!!






























Oompa Loompa Pin-up?? Totally. That's the one thing I really hate about the whole Ballroom competition thing. They like you bronzed up on the floor with drag make-up on! If my coach would have had his way, he would have had me two shades darker; Yuck!


My mom and I with our coach Joe Way! He has made this whole experience amazing!!

This is my first competition since Blackpool, England, 1999. I was really rusty, but did alright. I have sooo much more to learn! But that's the joy of the sport! More to soak up! I did the Gold Division and Pro/Am Scholarship. It consists of 5 dances: Cha-Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso Doble and Jive. (Rumba and Cha-Cha shown below.)I wasn't expecting anything, but walked away with a few 2nd and 3rd's. Personally, I just dig on being on the floor! It kinda cracks me up because everyone there takes themselves so seriously. I just think that kinda takes the fun out of the dancing. I just want to go on the floor and shake my bon bon!!

I had to stop doing it years ago for really stupid reasons, but Freddy has been so supportive about me starting it back up. This was actually the first time he really saw me dance. Thanks for your lovin', Freddy!



4 comments:

Maughan"sters" said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie Anne said...

Congrats, Mandy! You look great, girl!

pandorasbox said...

Mandy,

You look fantastic, you are so coordinated and make it look so easy which I know it is not!! I am so happy for you, you got a supportive guy who adores you, two great kids and you get to dance on top of it with your mom and sis...You hit the jackpot!!

Rachel said...

You are awesome!! Watch out Dancing with the Stars. I am so glad that I get to use and abuse all your wonderful talents in YW. You are a great example to the girls and they love and adore you.